Charles Wallace is a PhD scholar finding out insect systematics, in addition to a author, podcaster (@ASABpod), macro photographer, and novice aerialist. He lives within the metro Phoenix space together with his two cats.
For a very long time, I didn’t trouble packing. Most males’s pants aren’t particularly tight within the crotch, and I didn’t discover it a vital side of my very own gender expression. However then I received into the aerial arts, the place further cloth is a hazard. Between determining find out how to pack or chancing uncomfortable hypothesis about my gender or genitals, I selected to pack.
Packing is the observe of utilizing one thing – a packer – to create the looks of a “bulge” the place there isn’t genitalia there to create it for you. It’s most continuously linked to transmasculine people, and a few of the most dependable sources of packing gear are retailers particularly directed to them.
Packing will be so simple as stuffing a rolled-up sock into your pants or as complicated as attaching a hyper-real prosthesis on to your pores and skin. The precise methodology you would possibly use depends upon a number of elements, significantly why you wish to pack and the way a lot cash you’re prepared or capable of spend on it. However the course of itself will be distilled to 2 facets: the packer and what you utilize to carry it in place.
Packers run the gamut from utterly summary to stunningly practical. The selection of packer needs to be pushed by your purpose in packing. If guided primarily by dysphoria, it’s value investing in a pleasant silicone mannequin with heft and anatomical accuracy. If, nonetheless, you simply wish to fill out a cosplay with one thing light-weight and serviceable, realism received’t make a lot distinction besides to your pockets.
As ace bandages are to binding, a rolled up sock is to packing, within the sense that it’s simple, low-cost, and an absolute traditional. In contrast to ace bandages, nonetheless, a sock received’t trigger bodily harm. The rolled-up sock won’t ever seem like a “actual” bulge. Nevertheless, in most clothes (at the very least clothes manufactured for males), it doesn’t must, and works advantageous should you’re simply trying to put one thing behind your fly.
The place to search out them: Actually anyplace. Look in your drawer.
EZ Bulge/Foam Insert
There are three essential choices for foam inserts. One is a comparatively thick, sturdy foam insert that comes with choose pairs of Jockmail underwear (although some locations, e.g. TG Supply, promote it by itself). One other is the EZ Bulge, which is a thinner materials, with a generalized define of a penis.
Initially marketed to cis males to offer them extra quantity, these work equally effectively for packing wholesale. If worn with out a filler, they’re liable to flatten out in an unrealistic approach. Nevertheless, a small rolled up sock works nice to maintain them fairly sturdy. A 3rd choice, a nondescript agency foam bulge, is obtainable by UK firm Spectrum Outfitters.
The place to search out them: A number of transmasc suppliers inventory them (TranzWear, TG Provide) and one is included in choose pairs of Jockmail underwear
Cloth anatomical packer
The place to search out them: TranzWear ultimately; a number of locations on Etsy within the meantime, or by way of your individual creation
Practical/representational packers are largely manufactured from silicone, and resemble a (flaccid) penis and testicles. These fluctuate in degree of element, materials, weight, density, measurement, and coloration. There are such a lot of choices for practical packers that together with all of them in an inventory could be exhausting to jot down and exhausting to learn.
The web site FTM Packers is a reasonably full compilation. Although it primarily directs to Amazon; if attainable, I like to recommend shopping for from a good indie retailer, of which there can be an inventory in Half II.
As a substitute, I’ll supply some suggestions primarily based on what your most essential concerns could also be.
CHOOSING A PACKER
- What measurement ought to I get? No matter measurement you are feeling comfy with. There’s one thing to be stated about going “proportional,” however there’s no sturdy real-life correlation between genital measurement and total physique measurement. “Common” penis measurement is often listed round 3.5-4” flaccid, which most practical packers are available in.
- What type ought to I get? The most important distinction in sorts of packers is between these that are stable all through and people that are hole and can be utilized as an STP. (STP means “stand-to-pee,” and I will talk about STPs in additional element in Half II). If having the ability to stealthily use a urinal and even get up in a stall is essential to you, getting an STP is worth it. In any other case, go for a stable packer. It’s possible you’ll be tempted by “pack and play” choices, however these will not be discreet sufficient for on a regular basis use.
- Can I get a packer that matches my pores and skin tone? Sadly, many packers solely are available in gentle beige or pink-tinted shades. Luckily, each the New York Toy Collective and Reelmagik (each of which provide home and worldwide delivery) supply a set of pores and skin tones which vary right into a darker brown.
- Can I get a packer that’s uncircumcised? Time was, the reply could be no. These days, nonetheless, there are a number of choices. The NYTC “Pierre” (typically listed on secondary retailers’ websites as “Pierre Uncut”) is the preferred.
- What if I’m on a funds? The traditional first packer is Mr. Limpy, which is broadly offered and often prices between $12-15. It is available in 4 sizes and two colours (a light-weight beige and a light-weight tan/brown). Mr. Limpy has reached a degree of saturation as a result of it’s been round a very long time and it’s (often) the most affordable choice. However I don’t suggest it. As a substitute, TranZwear, in its “start-up kits” section provides a number of different low-price choices. In the event you can afford to go as much as $20-30, Reelmagik provides reductions on their commonplace packers with minor production defects, when out there.
- Can I get an especially practical packer? Absolutely the gold commonplace in realism is Emisil. They provide quite a few fashions (which fluctuate in each size and girth), sixteen pores and skin tones, sixteen styles of elective hair, and each circumcised and uncircumcised choices. These prostheses adhere on to the physique, and are manufactured from three layers of silicone, for an ultra-realistic feel and appear. In addition they value upwards of $300, at their most cost-effective. The subsequent finest might be Reelmagik, which provides six pores and skin tones (together with the deepest brown I’ve seen nonetheless being offered) in 4 sizes (together with the smallest I’ve seen anyplace, at 2.25”).
Relying on how and the way typically you put on them, packers can get distinctly musky if not taken care of (particularly STPs, which want common cleansing). Cloth choices (e.g. socks) are simple – simply toss them in together with your laundry, as regular. Foam inserts (particularly the EZ Bulge) can get worn down over time, and could have to be changed periodically if in common rotation. Practical packers, nonetheless, typically contain a couple of further steps.
Most practical packers are manufactured from silicone, and might face up to extraordinarily sizzling water. In the event you needed to, you might boil them or place them within the high rack of a dishwasher. Some practical packers are manufactured from different supplies, like Elastomer, and don’t have the identical sturdiness. The particular materials or care directions of a packer are often out there by way of product descriptions. Typically, wash in heat water with cleaning soap and let air-dry.
With most practical packers, there may be additionally a sure tackiness to the pores and skin. To fight this and assist preserve them in good situation over the long run, many fashions suggest protecting them coated in cornstarch or a packer-specific powder (e.g. Cyber Packer Dust).
That is Half I in a two-part article on packing. Hopefully, you’ve a greater sense of the choices out there and the way to decide on between them. Half II will cowl find out how to put on packers, particular concerns, and embody an inventory of shops the place you could find packers and all crucial packing accoutrements.