Charles Wallace is a PhD pupil finding out insect systematics, in addition to a author, podcaster (@ASABpod), macro photographer, and newbie aerialist. He lives within the metro Phoenix space along with his two cats.
This is Part II in a two-part sequence on packing. Part I coated what’s packing, kinds of packers, how to decide on a packer, and easy methods to take care of them.
Once you’ve received a packer, you want one thing to carry it safe. The best and most cost-effective possibility is to put on a snug-fitting pair of briefs or trunks and place a light-weight packer into the fly. This possibility is only if you aren’t shifting round a lot, or the place there’s an extra cosy layer to maintain issues in place (e.g. in case you had been to put on leggings).
Beyond that, there are three major choices: a harness, a removable pouch, and underwear with a built-in pocket.
Choosing Between the Three
A harness provides minimal protection and is the best choice if you wish to put on looser underwear or no underwear in any respect. Harnesses work with real looking packers, and might supply a really safe placement (good for sports activities or swimming). The largest selection is offered from TranZwear.
A removable pouch depends on the thick, sturdy elastic waistband typical of most males’s underwear. Shaped like a pillowcase (rectangular, with an open finish), you place a packer inside the pouch, and safe it to your waistband. Most choices use large safety pins, however the New York Toy Collective sells one which closes with strong magnets.
The earlier two choices are finest if you wish to follow your personal underwear, however there are a number of pairs that are made particularly to carry a packer. Packing underwear sometimes has a pocket within the entrance, which, in contrast to a fly, has a single horizontal opening on the prime. These are supposed to match snugly, and thereby maintain the packer in place. Different choices (in a wide range of cuts) can be found from lots of the retailers on the backside of this article.
A be aware on sizing: Popular choices Jockmail and RodeoH each notoriously run small. For bigger sizes, “Cake Bandit” from TransGuySupply and the “Pete” line from SpareParts go as much as a 50” waist.
Anecdotally, numerous trans individuals keep away from swimming as a result of it could really feel like a dicey proposition. Bathing fits are sometimes skintight, and much more so after getting moist. Whereas it’s commonplace for the entrance of your pants to be flattish, that’s much less the case with swimsuits – more and more much less in order they get smaller and tighter.
Packing whereas swimming might assist restore some confidence, if not relieve dysphoria. Even greater than with on a regular basis put on, packing for swimming requires a packer which gained’t take up water (e.g. a silicone possibility vs. a foam insert), and one thing to carry it in place regardless of rigorous motion. The most suitable choice for many males’s swimwear is probably going a safe harness worn beneath trunks or board shorts.
In addition to earlier tips about holding a packer in place, there are a number of choices for jock straps modified to carry a practical packer. Several appear extra modern than useful (e.g. TG Supply’s “Cake Bandit” jocks), however rodeoH provides a black sport jock with building to carry a packer securely.
As talked about in Part I, an STP (“stand-to-pee”) is a tool which permits individuals with no penis to pee standing up with some management. Increasingly, these are made for and marketed in direction of individuals trying to have a practical penis. Some of the sooner choices, e.g. the “Go Girl,” are summary and clearly marketed to cis girls.
The main distinction between STPs and different real looking packers is that an STP wants to take a seat flush towards the genitals, to allow them to’t be worn inside a pocket. STPs greater than different real looking packers might profit from sporting with a harness beneath full-coverage underwear, with a fly.
- NYTC sells a strap suitable with their packers, together with their STP “Sam”.
- TRUHK briefs and boxer briefs are full-coverage underwear made particularly to be STP-compatible, and can be found from RodeoH in a number of colours.
- Transthetics sells an STP and each briefs and boxers designed to be suitable with it.
Depending on the merchandise used, menstruation might or might not battle with packing. Underwear designed for males sometimes don’t accommodate liners or pads very effectively, however UK firm Spectrum Outfitters provides “3 in 1” boxers with a built-in temporary and a discrete packer pocket.
Where to Buy Packing Underwear
All of those shops supply home (USA) and not less than partial worldwide delivery. One, Spectrum Outfitters, is UK-based, and provides delivery internationally. Most are additionally trans owned and run.
- FtM Essentials is a secondary retailer of assorted comfortable packers, STPs, harnesses (together with the Aslan brand packing straps), and full-coverage packing underwear from rodeoH, Spare Parts, and Cal Exotics.
- New York Toy Collective is a major retailer of a number of well-loved comfortable packers, packing pouches with a magnetic closure, and STPs, in addition to an array of intercourse toys. They supply some merchandise with slight defects at a minor low cost on their very own web site. Their merchandise are sometimes obtainable via secondary retailers similar to FtM Essentials.
- RainbowRears is an Etsy retailer wherein a wide range of gender-affirming underwear choices are supplied, together with a jock made to carry an STP; briefs which optionally have additional room, a pocket, or sewn-in polyfill packer; and swim trunks with a packer pocket sewn in. Only accepts orders on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
- RodeoH is primarily recognized for his or her strapless strap-on harness underwear, however in addition they supply a wide range of comfortable packers, STPs, and full-coverage packing underwear. rodeoH underwear run notoriously small and have a tendency to have a really low rise. They settle for returns for retailer credit score solely.
- Spectrum Outfitters is a UK-based firm (which does ship internationally). They supply a foam packer and 3-in-1 boxers geared up to carry each a packer and a sanitary pad.
- Trans Guy Supply is a retailer of quite a few comfortable packers and several other types of packing underwear, together with their Cake Bandit label and several other variations on Jockmail pocket underwear.
- Transthetics primarily provides prostheses for each sexual and non-sexual use. They carry an STP and two kinds of packing underwear in each briefs and boxer temporary designs.
- TranZwear is a singular provider. They don’t sew or design their very own underwear, however modify pairs from numerous manufacturers with rings, pouches, or different choices to carry a wide range of packers in place. They additionally promote, amongst many objects, comfortable packers, STPs, swim trunks, and harnesses.
Many packers and packing underwear can be discovered at intercourse toy retailers, of their “gender expression”/ “gender gear” sections (nsfw).
Ultimately, whether or not and the way you pack will depend on numerous elements, and there are actually extra choices than ever to serve them. Hopefully, these two articles have given you a powerful basis in what’s obtainable, and there’s an ever more and more strong group of individuals on-line (similar to r/ftm) who can provide you much more private testimonies, ideas, and in-depth critiques.